Explain Everything allows students to create a narrated slide show. In addition to recording the student's voice, the app also records any action that happens on the iPad screen. So, for example, if a student draws an arrow while they're narrating, the app records the arrow being drawn.
A 9th grade global studies class recently used Explain Everything to create vocabulary projects for 6th graders. Their format was pretty basic, and I think it translates well enough to work with vocabulary words in any subject area:
- Slide 1: Provide a visual image of the vocabulary word, and ask the 6th grader to predict the word's meaning
- Slide 2: Provide a definition of the vocabulary word
- Slide 3: Explain a simile comparing the vocabulary word to a more familiar object or idea
- Slide 4: Ask the 6th graders to write down their own definition of the word
- Slide 5: Introduce yourself with a photo
Both the 9th grade authors and the 6th grade audience really enjoyed the project. Here are a few samples of their finished products:
Vocabulary term: Qu'ran
Vocabulary term: Mosque
Vocabulary term: Ka'ba
How do you envision yourself using the Explain Everything app?