Student Voice in the Library

One of my personal goals for this school year is to increase student voice in our library program. I have some great mentors in this area (Hello, Sue Kowalski!), but it's not my personal strength. I know it's super-valuable, as it provides students with a sense of ownership and increases engagement, but it's not been as high a priority as it should be. 

So, for my first targeted attempt of increasing student voice this year, I built a "Your Book Picks" display. To kick things off, our library helpers all recommended their favorite books. 


But I built the display so it's constantly evolving and other students can add their favorites at any time. They simply grab a "thumbs-up" tag from the jar, write their name on it, and then stick it on their favorite book, adding it to the display. 


Want to create this display for yourself? Here's a link to a PDF where you can download the materials. I just printed the thumbs on cardstock and then laminated them so we could easily wipe off the marker and reuse them. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QR Codes and Orientation

Updated Facebook Template

Supporting Social-Emotional Learning with Library Bulletin Boards