Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Vacation = Disconnecting?


I’m on spring break this week, and I’m enjoying a visit to sunny Atlanta. It’s so nice this time of year because winter here is a distant memory and it’s a great change from Syracuse’s cool, rainy weather. 

Grandma's yard - April in Atlanta looks like June in Syracuse!
It’s a low-key vacation, as I’m visiting relatives with my Mom. I’m staying with my Grandma, and although she’s the proud owner of a much-loved Kindle Fire, she doesn’t have Internet access.

In preparation for a week off-line, I packed a stack of books – a few nonfiction and some other fun things I’ve been meaning to read. I admittedly spend way too much time online, so I figured I’d get tons and tons read without the constant distraction of blogs, celebrity gossip sites, and Facebook (that doesn't sound very librarian-ish, does it?). 

My best intentions.
This, sadly, is not the case. I’ve read exactly 78 pages, and instead spent much of my time staring at my tiny iPhone screen – which, admittedly, gets only spotty reception.

I. Am. Pathetic.

Anyone else have trouble unplugging and get back to basics, even under optimal conditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment