Friday, October 29, 2010

Yesterday's Ahh-Haaa! Moment(s)

When I attend conferences, it's a good day if I can go home with at least ONE new idea.
Yesterday's SLS Fall Conference didn't disappoint.

IDEA 1
Ross Todd's session was great, especially when he talked about the kinds of research and learning that **should** be taking place in a school library. He really emphasized the importance of TRANSFORMING research rather than TRANSPORTING research.

Unfortunately, I see classroom projects that require students to transport much too often. The ubiquitous PowerPoint project asking students to collect facts and display them on a series of slides is a frequent offender.

That's my goal for this school year: more projects requiring students to TRANSFORM the facts rather than TRANSPORT the facts.

IDEA 2
Sue Kowalski, a middle school librarian in the East Syracuse Minoa district, gets credit for the other great take-home idea. She used the database TeachingBooks.Net to hold a virtual author festival in her school. TeachingBooks.Net is a resource provided by our library system -- I've never used it, but I totally should because it offers hundreds of short author interviews. I think I'll do our own mini-festival, using it as alternative to book talks. Sue said that after the kids watched the author videos, they were clamouring for books written by their favorites -- and these were titles that **typically** never get checked out of the library. Can't wait to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment